Date:      Fri, 16 Sep 2011 18:22:06 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jason Usher <jusher71@yahoo.com>
To:        "freebsd-fs@freebsd.org" <freebsd-fs@freebsd.org>
Subject:   ZFS obn FreeBSD hardware model for 48 or 96 sata3 paths...

=0AHello,=0A=0AI am building my first FreeBSD based ZFS system and am decid=
ing on a hardware model.=A0 The overriding requirement is:=0A=0A1) immediat=
ely support 48 internal sata3 drives at full bandwidth - every drive has in=
dependent path to CPU=0A=0A2) future expansion to support another 48 drives=
 on an attached JBOD, all of which ALSO have their own independent path to =
CPU=0A=0AThe first question is:=A0 how many pcie 2.0 lanes does a motherboa=
rd need to run 96 independent sata3 connections ?=A0 Am I correct that this=
 is extremely important ?=0A=0ANext, I see a lot of implementations done wi=
th LSI adaptors - is this as simple as choosing (3) LSI SAS 9201-16i for th=
e 48 internal drives and (3) LSI SAS 9201-16e for the external drives ?=A0 =
I remember that these cards are supported with mps(4) in FreeBSD, but only =
in 9.x (?) - is that still the case, or is that support in 8.2 or later in =
8.3 ?=0A=0ASo I will boot of a pair of mirrored SSDs formatted UFS2 - easy.=
=A0 But I would also like to spec and use a ZIL+L2ARC and am not sure where=
 to go ... the system will be VERY write-biased and use a LOT of inodes - s=
o lots of scanning of large dirs with lots of inodes and writing data.=A0 S=
omething like 400 million inodes on a filesystem with an average file size =
of 150 KB.=0A=0A- can I just skip the l2arc and just add more RAM ?=A0 Woul=
dn't the RAM always be faster/better ?=A0 Or do folks build such large L2ar=
cs (4x200 GB SSD ?) that it outweighs an extra 32 GB of RAM ?=0A=0A- provid=
ed I maintain the free pcie slot(s) and/or free 2.5" drive slots, can I alw=
ays just add a ZIL after the fact ?=A0 I'd prefer to skip it for now and sa=
ve that complexity for later...=0A=0AThanks very much for any comments/sugg=
estions.=0A