Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 1996 05:16:49 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Andrew Stesin <stesin@gu.net>
Cc:        Joerg Wunsch <joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de>, FreeBSD hackers <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org>, committers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ex/vi version 1.79 now available for anonymous ftp.

> 	Two direct consequences:
>
> 	1. Perl 5.003_smth goes from ports to main tree --
> 	   packed as a big shared library, + a 8k /usr/bin/perl;
> 	   and /usr/bin/vi and all other programs using Perl5's
> 	   embedded features will use that shared lib.

Perl 5.003 has a vi module?! :-)

> 	2. Old and rusty perl4 goes to Attic.
>
> 	Why so many people don't like this to happen (for years) --
> 	who knows?  As for me, Perl is as great as Tcl is, both
> 	are useful.

I think we were waiting for Perl5 to shake out, and with good reason.
Many parts of the PERL programming world still had yet to shift
themselves, which was another good reason to stick with Perl4.

Nowdays, I don't know.  First off, how much bigger is it going to
make our default source tree and second, is the perl world really
ready for /usr/bin/perl to be perl5 by default?

					Jordan