Date:      Sun, 25 Nov 2012 20:35:53 +0100
From:      Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@rocketmail.com>
To:        freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: MIDIPP - music production with FreeBSD?!

On Sun, 2012-11-25 at 20:08 +0100, Hans Petter Selasky wrote:
> I wrote this simple tool to be able to handle more than stero. The device I've
> got provides 7+1 channels playback and recording. I didn't check if jack
> supports that. Also there are some problems with audio delay and such when
> using jack. Probably not configured properly. And I needed to have control on
> sample rate drifting with regard to input and output. VirtuallOSS is using
> cuse4bsd to provide a non-resampled audio device.

This is the same jack as for Linux? If so, jack doesn't add latency and
can handle more than enough ports. Latency is from the backend/hardware
and the clients have to provide the ports. Jack doesn't do resampling.
It's impossible to misconfigure jack in a way, that it will add latency.

Much more, on Linux the -Xalsarawmidi switch for jack2, aka jackdmp (not
for jack1, aka jackd) does enable zero MIDI jitter, when using good MIDI
devices, IOW PCI and PCIe devices, USB always will produce MIDI jitter.

Regards,
Ralf