Date:      Sun, 15 Nov 1998 22:18:23 -0600 (CST)
From:      Bruce Albrecht <bruce@zuhause.mn.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ppp -auto question

Before I upgraded to a current -current (previously running -current
from 12/97, now 11/11/98), when my ppp -auto disconnected, I set up my
ppp.linkdown to delete the old default route and set the default route
to a non-existant ip (10.0.2.20) that was the gateway ip address for
the now inactive ppp link.

The ppp.conf file had
   set ifaddr 10.0.2.15/0 10.0.2.20/0 255.255.255.0 0.0.0.0

The ppp.linkdown had
MYADDR:
   delete default
   add default 10.0.2.20

This worked really well, as sendmail would try to do a name lookup on
the link and I had 10.0.2.20 known to my local named.  However, with
the way ppp works now, sendmail does a name lookup on the ip address
of the now inactive link, which forces ppp to reconnect to the ISP if
named has invalidated the IP from its cache.  Is there any way to get
the old behaviour to work again?  When I did a little fiddling around
with it, I either would get complaints about the default route already
existing or it wouldn't dial out after the first time.

Any suggestions?