Date:      Wed, 30 Dec 1998 12:34:35 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        "Steven P. Donegan" <donegan@quick.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NOW/MOSIX/Beowulf

Steven P. Donegan writes:
 > Both have interface support for Myrinet - a proprietary crossbar switch
 > based gig speed LAN.

The URL for people to read more about Myrinet is http://www.myri.com.

I'd like to chime in with the opinion that if you have the money for a
high-speed cluster interconnect, Myrinet is an excellent choice.  In
many respects, Myrinet much more flexible than Gigabit Ethernet.  This
is primarily because the Myrinet NIC is programmable via downloadble
firmware and there are few hardware standards to follow (eg, no
hardware imposed MTU, the smallest message can be just 4 bytes, you
can design custom header info so messages can be DMA'ed by the NIC to
pre-determined memory locations for zero-copy protocols, etc).  This
flexibility comes at the price of being willing to get your hands
dirty & write your own messaging system for Myrinet.  Locally, we've
done just this -- see http://www.cs.duke.edu/ari/trapeze.

Trapeze consists of a messaging library and custom firmware for
Myrinet.  Trapeze currently hosts kernel to kernel RPC communications
and zero-copy page migration traffic for network storage, a
user-level communications layer for MPI on Digital UNIX, a
low-overhead kernel logging and profiling system, and TCP/IP device
drivers for FreeBSD and Digital UNIX.

I emphasize that Trapeze itself is not a MOSIX or Beowulf equivalent.
Rather, Trapeze is a building block that such a parallel NOW cluster
could be built on.  Our focus is network storage, not parallel
processing, so we haven't done so ourselves. Trapeze is essentially
the FreeBSD equivalent to the Linux BIP package
(http://lhpca.univ-lyon1.fr).

Trapeze is available in source form with a BSD style copyright.
Trapeze supports FreeBSD (i386 & alpha) as well as Digital UNIX.  Note
that the release of Trapeze available at the above URL is rather old &
we are currently preparing a new release (should be available shortly
after the holidays).

Drew