Date:      Fri, 16 Jan 2015 17:07:28 +0000
From:      "Quattlebaum, Ryan" <Ryan.Quattlebaum@netapp.com>
To:        Adrian Chadd <adrian@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-net@freebsd.org" <freebsd-net@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Accessing socket APIs soon after accept

Hi, Adrian. Thanks for taking a look at this.=0A=
=0A=
We're using FreeBSD 8.2 and httpd-2.4.10 with arp-1.5.1 and apr-util-1.5.4.=
=0A=
=0A=
The problem we're seeing is pretty intermittent, so I hope this test case c=
an                                      shine a little bit of light on the =
problem. We tried debugging this on our own by adding calls to getsockname(=
) right after the accept call (in srclib/apr/network_io/unix/sockets.c: apr=
_socket_accept()) and logging the output. That's where we saw invalid data.=
=0A=
=0A=
I took a look at the source code for the TCP syncache module and the accept=
 syscall. It looks like the new child socket is available for the applicati=
on to accept after the call to sonewconn returns, but the address informati=
on isn't set until further down in the function. Wouldn't this open a windo=
w where an application could accept on a socket that the syncache code isn'=
t done configuring?=0A=
=0A=
- Ryan Quattlebaum=0A=