Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 13:40:42 +0100 (CET)
From:      jan@sparud.net (Jan Sparud)
To:        Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de>
Cc:        freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Answering machine interrupting other channel

Jan Sparud wrote:

[Answering machine interrupting other channel]

Gary Jennejohn <garyj@muc.de> replied:

> I'd guess that the data is coming in so fast over the voice channel
> that it's swamping the data channel. The telephony service uses raw
> B-channels, which have pretty much no flow control.

> I can't think of any way to fix this without totally screwing up the
> flow of data on the voice channel.

Hmm, I have two reasons for thinking that this is not the case:

1) When the answering machine is running, it's only using 5% of the
   CPU (on a PIII-600 with 256M RAM).

2) It's enough for the answering machine to start and then stop
   immediately, the ppp connection is still frozen until it time-outs
   a minute later, even if there is no traffic on the voice channel.

It seems that something happens internally in isdnd when it forks and
execs the answering machine program (mine is a C program; I tried with
the answer.sh in contrib/ too with the same results).

Am I the only one seeing this?

/Janne