Date:      Sun, 9 Sep 2001 12:44:19 EDT
From:      Bsdguru@aol.com
To:        imp@harmony.village.org
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PCI probe reordering?

imp@harmony.village.org writes:

> : I've encountered a MB that seems to probe devices in a less than
desirable
>  : order. There is an onboard fxp controller, but it scans the slots first,
> so
>  : that the onboard controller is fxp1 if there is another intel card in
the
>  : box, for example.
>  :
>  : I want to make the onboard controller fxp0 (since most MBs probe that
way
> and
>  : it makes sense). Where would I have to hack to get Freebsd to probe
slots
> in
>  : reverse order?
>
>  I truly believe that it would be easier to hack the pci bus code to
>  support wired hints than it would be to hack the probe order and still
>  have things work afterwards.
>
>  The outline of the hack:
>   hints.fxp.0.at="pci1:10:0"
>  would be how you'd tell the system about it.  Then, in the device
>  probe/attachment routine, check to see if the "at" hint, if it exists,
>  matches the bus:device:function you are about to probe.  If so, go
>  ahead with the probe/attach.  Otherwise bump the child number and go
>  to the "Then" part of this paragraph.
>
>  This may be a little difficult, because I think that the probing the
>  children is actually pushed down into the bus code...
>
>  Warner

Its a bit hard to understand this without knowing what code you are referring
to.

Also, which routing specifically implements the probe calls to drivers?
Another option is to probe the wired device first explicitly, and then  skip
it in the normal probe scan.  In linux there is a clearly defined routine
that does this, but i havent found it in freebsd yet.

Bryan