Date:      Thu, 07 Apr 2016 08:38:34 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Russell Haley <russ.haley@gmail.com>, Boris Samorodov <bsam@passap.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>, Mark Millard <markmi@dsl-only.net>
Subject:   Re: Indication of Successful Build

On Thu, 2016-04-07 at 00:14 -0700, Russell Haley wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 6, 2016 at 11:44 PM, Boris Samorodov <bsam@passap.ru>
> wrote:
> > 06.04.16 23:14, Russell Haley пишет:
> > > Thanks for the input Mark.
> > >
> > > I'm currently looking into the cross build script on the
> > > developers
> >
> > Sees that you misunderstood Marks word "script". He uses SCRIPT(1)
> > to save build script output to a log-file.
>
> Thank you, I understood what he was doing. I was refering to the
> script here:
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/FreeBSD/arm/crossbuild
>

> > > wiki, as well as considering updating crochet to use the u-boot
> > > ports
> > > and adding hummingboard to it. I'm going to take all these
> > > suggestions
> > > and see what I can come up with. In my mind it wouldn't be hard
> > > to use
> > > the return codes indicated by Boris to create a running log of
> > > make
> > > results and copy successful outputs to a different directory.
> > > What
> > > raises my concern is that I can't be the first person to ever
> > > come up
> > > with this idea, so where are all the other attempts at this? In
> > > my
> > > mind that means I'm either way ahead of the curve (not) or I am
> > > going
> > > down the wrong path and there is something else to this I haven't
> > > considered.
> >
> > I'd say that most developers have different purposes, plus it's not
> > hard
> > to create a shell script to automate the task. So everybody have
> > some of
> > them at their armoury. Here is mine (written once in a hurry, but
> > used
> > to be helpful and used often).
>
> Thank you for your script. This is precisely what I was looking for:
> some input on how other people build!

It would be fairly trivial to add automatic log generation to that
script on the wiki page.  I usually don't care, but when I want logs
while I'm building I just add "2>&1 | tee make.log" (bash/sh syntax, it
would be different for csh) when I launch the script.  It would be easy
enough to put that inside the script, perhaps with some logic to
generate a log name that includes date and time.

-- Ian