Date:      Sat, 09 Apr 2016 10:53:34 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>, Svatopluk Kraus <onwahe@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: No usable event timer found on RPI2

On Sat, 2016-04-09 at 09:49 -0700, bob prohaska wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 09, 2016 at 10:59:33AM +0200, Svatopluk Kraus wrote:
> > On Sat, Apr 9, 2016 at 4:02 AM, bob prohaska <fbsd@www.zefox.net>
> > wrote:
> > > generic_timer0: <ARMv7 Generic Timer> irq 10000,10001,10002,10003
> > > on ofwbus0
> > > generic_timer0: Unable to alloc int resource.
> > > device_attach: generic_timer0 attach returned 6
> > > generic_timer0: <ARMv7 Generic Timer> irq 10000,10001,10002,10003
> > > on ofwbus0
> > > device_attach: generic_timer0 attach returned 6
> >

> > The problem is here. Recently, bcm283x interrupt controllers were
> > reworked for new interrupt framework and enabled by default. As I
> > don't see that local_intc is attached in your dmesg, you use stale
> > dts
> > (dtb) files. My rpi2 dmesg looks this way:
> >

> Dts seems to be a part of u-boot.
>
> The version of u-boot installed is a year old, but updating ports
> suggests
> that it hasn't changed. What am I missing? Apologies if it's a lot!
>
> Thank you!
>
> bob prohaska

The rpi.dtb file lives on the FAT partition where u-boot is, but it's
created by the freebsd build process and installing the kernel puts the
new dtb into /boot/dtb on the freebsd rootfs.  Something else (crochet
or some similar script, or you by hand) have to copy from there to the
FAT partition on the sdcard.

Note that right now all of this is unique to rpi.  For other arm
boards, u-boot isn't involved in the dtb file loading at all and the
file is normally read by ubldr from the freebsd filesystem.

There may come a day when all arm boards have to work more like rpi
does now (due to the way the u-boot world is evolving).

-- Ian