Date:      Fri, 24 Jun 2016 14:10:55 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>, =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Mika=EBl?= Urankar <mikael.urankar@gmail.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-arm@freebsd.org" <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Poudriere failing on some 10-STABLE ports --- "uses VFP register arguments"

On Fri, 2016-06-24 at 15:52 -0400, Paul Mather wrote:
> On Jun 24, 2016, at 2:55 PM, Mikaël Urankar <mikael.urankar@gmail.com
> > wrote:

> > > For a while I've been having trouble building ARM packages via
> > > Poudriere.  My setup running under a 10-STABLE host quit working
> > > altogether, so I switched to an 11-CURRENT host.  That works to
> > > build both 11.x and 10.x FreeBSD/arm packages, however, in the
> > > case of the 10.x packages I am having a couple of persistent
> > > failures: lang/perl5.20; security/libgpg-error; and mail/postfix.
> > >   All three are flagged in the Poudriere build page as having
> > > "linker_error".  The linker error is always a complaint related
> > > to using "VFP register arguments".
> >
> > Hi,
> > See https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-arm/2016-May/013952
> > .html
>

> I had seen that thread but the fixes suggested (update the jail;
> update QEMU) do not appear to work for my problem.
>
> I have:
>
> Poudriere host: FreeBSD/amd64 11.0-ALPHA4 r302140
> Poudriere jail: 10.3-STABLE r302137 arm.armv6
> QEMU package:   qemu-user-static-2.6.50.g20160621
>

> Note, I have no problems building FreeBSD/arm 11-CURRENT packages on
> this Poudriere host, only 10-STABLE packages.
>
> Cheers,

When you update the nxb-bin native crosstools (-x command in poudriere
jail create) in the 10-stable jail, they are actually being built from
/usr/src on your host, not the sources in the jail.  This means you're
getting hardfloat-abi tools from the 11-alpha host, not the softfp-abi
tools from the 10-stable jail sources.

I don't know of any way to fix it other than to create a 10-stable
amd64 jail to host the 10-stable poudriere crossbuilds, so that the -x
option in poudriere picks up the 10-stable copy of /usr/src from the
jail it's running in.

This doesn't sound like something that would be hard to fix, but I've
never looked into it to see why it's hardwired to /usr/src on the host
(in fact, I'm just taking someone's word for that, I've never looked
into it at all).  It might just get neglected because it has never
really made much difference before, but now all of a sudden it does.

-- Ian