Date:      Wed, 28 Jun 2000 10:57:51 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        R Joseph Wright <rjoseph@mammalia.org>, Neil Blakey-Milner <nbm@mithrandr.moria.org>
Subject:   Re: qmail install locations

Neil Blakey-Milner writes:
> On Wed 2000-06-28 (00:02), R Joseph Wright wrote:
> > I just installed qmail and the installation does not mesh with the
> > rest of the system.  For example, virtually everything goes under
> > /var, even the executables.  Being a port, I think it should not
> > compete with the base system's space.
> > Would anyone object to me tweaking it to go under /usr/local?  Then I
> > will fill out a PR.
> qmail on every other system in the world installs in /var/qmail, and the
> author prefers that this is so.  In the near future, we may be able to
> distribute packages for qmail, and this would require that everything be
> accessible via /var/qmail.

It's a bit nastier than that. Qmail includes control files that pretty
much *have* to be different between systems. The port builds the
initial versions for you. Installing these on a shared file system
would almost certainly break the mail system on any systems that share
that file system. /var is specifically designed *not* to be shared, so
it's the right place to put things initially.

I'd vote for the default install not breaking existing installs in
environments that share /usr/local. One way to do that is to do what
postfix does, and just install sample config files instead of real
ones. You also need to provide startup scripts that start with
different config files, so that it can be started with a config file
from an unshared file system.

> If you personally want to change this to /usr/local, change PREFIX in
> the port, where it explains what you should do.  (it suggests
> /usr/local/qmail)

This failed pretty badly when I tried it recently. I gave up and just
install it in /var/qmail.

	<mike