Date:      Fri, 2 Feb 2001 11:10:45 -0600 (CST)
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Ilya" <maillist@krel.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: printer in bsd

Ilya <maillist@krel.org> types:
> Hi. I am trying to use my bubble jet on FreeBSD
> I recompiled kernel with this info:
> device          ppc0    at isa? irq 7
> device          ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
> device          lpt0 at isa? port? tty irq 7 vector lptintr
>
> and during boot I get this:
> ppc0: <Parallel port> at port 0x378-0x37f irq 7 on isa0
> ppc0: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
>
> nothing about lpt1
>
> any suggestions?

Yes - tell us which version of the OS you're running. For recent
releases, it's "device lpt", not the thing you have. You can also look
in the GENERIC config to see how they have lpt0 set up, as it should
have it enabled.

Finally, if what you gave from the config is right, you should be
looking for lpt0, not lpt1. And you need to make sure it's configured
to use irq 7 in the BIOS.

	<mike