Date:      Wed, 21 Feb 2001 16:46:44 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        abgoeree@uwnet.nl
Cc:        chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OT: ["abgoeree@uwnet.nl"@shell.i-sphere.com: REJECTED MAIL]????????

Andre Goeree <abgoeree@uwnet.nl> types:
> > Rather than install a filter, get a good automated complaint system,
> > and add a "complain" button to your mailer. If you do it often enough,
> > you'll get your address on the "complains about spam" blacklist, which
> > will start killill the spam at the source. That's a lot better than
> > killing it after it's gotten to your system.
> Is there a "complaints about SPAM" blacklist? I didn't know that.
> Sounds like a list i want to get on:)
> Would mail/adcomplain do the trick?

Well, some of the SPAM packages/sites (those that help produce it, not
those that help fight it) have lists of email addresses that are known
to generate complaints if you spam them.

> Hmm, sometimes i get spammed via mailing lists. I can only
> guess that the spammers don't have my direct mail address,
> but reacting to these messages would give them the address for sure...

Well, they may have it and some filter is getting it. On the other
hand, I sometimes see the same spam multiple times - to both one of my
mail addresses and to one or more of the lists I subscribe to.

> > I always wonder what would happen if some popular mailer turned up
> > with a "Complain about SPAM" button. I suspect it would be more
> > effective at getting rid of SPAM than all the filters and blocks put
> > together.
> That sure sounds like a good default feature:)

Yeah, but considering how active MS is about fixing - or even advising
people - about what a security hole ActiveX and JavaScript are, I
wouldn't expect it to happen.

	<mike