Date:      Sat, 17 Mar 2001 15:11:12 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: installing X11 sources?

Rich Morin <rdm@cfcl.com> types:
> I tried very diligently to get a _complete_ distribution off the 4.2
> installation CD-ROM.  Nonetheless, it appears that I did not get any
> source code for the commands in /usr/X11R6/bin.  Looking over the FAQ,
> Handbook, and CD-ROM, I don't see how I am supposed to get these.  Can
> someone please offer me some instruction?

The X on the distribution is a package, even though it's bundled like
it's part of FreeBSD. You'll find that recent FreeBSD distributions
don't include sources to any packages :-(.

You can get the source to a package by finding it's port directory,
and doing "make patch" - or a similar target - in that directory. For
the X on the distribution, that's /usr/ports/x11/XFree86.

	<mike