Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 07:57:14 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Eric M Logan <ericmlogan@mediaone.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ramdisks and mfs...

Eric M Logan <ericmlogan@mediaone.net> types:
> First, thanks for your quick reply.  Just one last thing, actually two.  Am I
> correct in assuming that a "pure" ramdisk from /dev/md* is faster than a pseudo
> ramdisk backed by a swap partition?  And, what's the point of the former since it
> relies on a slow hd?  Shouldn't the latter be the preferred way to do ramdisks?

A better way to see what's going on is that md allocates memory from
real, where mfs allocates it from virtual. A ramdisk on real memory
will be faster than one on virtual memory if the virtual memory is
actually paged out. When that happens, *something* has be page be
paged out. Allowing that something to be your ramdisk means you've
raised the threshhold before the system starts paging or thrashing,
which is a good thing.

There are situations where having a small ramdisk that doesn't have
disk preallocated to it is an advantage (systems without swap, or
during installation, for instance). Even for typical workstation
usage, if you restrict the usage of /tmp to small things, it might be
useful. But I use /tmp for pretty much anything I don't plan on
keeping around (extracting tarballs or things sent in the mail, for
instance) and don't really want to limit it to the 10Meg the kernel
allows an md disk to be by default.

	<mike