Date:      Sun, 8 Apr 2001 11:58:47 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        leclercn@videotron.ca
Cc:        Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 64bits mixups (Was: Re: Vinum status)

tcn writes:
 >   It is an error to keep ints of 32 bits on 64 bits machine like it
 > would have been an error on ia32 to keep ints of 16bits.  (I come from a
 > dos world...)

It is not an error.  It is standard industry practice, every major
vendor with a 64-bit platform follows lp64.  Almost nobody chose
ilp64.  Go read http://www.opengroup.org/public/tech/aspen/lp64_wp.htm

I think the pointer size manipulation you're referring to in Compaq's
CXX is the old Tru64 taso (Truncated Address Space) trick where they
use 32-bit pointers and make sure that the entire program's address
space fits in 4G.  This can indeed be useful to run old, buggy
code like your aliance program.

Drew