Date:      Mon, 04 Jan 1999 20:14:25 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>, Garrett Wollman <wollman@khavrinen.lcs.mit.edu>, Tom Bartol <bartol@salk.edu>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: New boot blocks for serial console ...

In message <199901041858.KAA14013@dingo.cdrom.com>, Mike Smith writes:

>> >Give me physical access to your machine, with or without a padlock,
>> >and I'll have root on that baby before you have a chance to come back
>> >from lunch.
>> >
>> >I think the original comment that there's no security without physical
>> >security has definite merit.  The NSA learned this decades ago! :)
>>
>> Uhm, well there is, but it is called "tamper-proof hardware" and costs
>> a fortune.
>
>It's not "tamper-proof", it's "tamper-resistant", and I can suggest a
>wide range of "tampering" hardware that it won't stand up to for long.

No, you bet it is tamper-PROOF.

They will guarantee that you will not get access to anything in
the computer.  Last perimeter will inject 220V (mains) through
vital bits of the computer (including your flash disk) if broken.

By the time you have gotten through the 10mm steel plate, the computer
is dead.  And quite likely you as well, they have versions with
poison-gas release and all sorts of nasties.

Primary market:  ATM & Banking terminals.

Smallest model and the closest they have to a portable in the
catalog I have here weighs 450 kg (thats 900 pounds), sports 10mm
steel casing (both the outher case and the CPU module case inside
it) it comes with optional holes in the bottom so you can bolt it
to a foundation.  It is also IP67 watertight and they will paint
it in any color you like.  Price: $CALL.

"ttyv0" -- What UNIX calls a $20K state-of-the-art, 3D, hi-res color terminal