Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2018 10:47:05 -0600
From:      Ian Lepore <ian@freebsd.org>
To:        Daniel Braniss <danny@cs.huji.ac.il>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to add local changes to buildworld?

On Tue, 2018-03-27 at 19:20 +0300, Daniel Braniss wrote:
> Hi,
> I have some local additions which int the past, after making changes
> to some Makefiles, etc, I got them compiled
> but somehow, things stopped working after 11, so I¢m now trying to do
> a fresh set of patches,
> and was wondering if there is some docs around on how to to this
> cleanly? trying to figure out the *.mk is becoming a bit complicated.
> thanks,
> 	danny

If you're asking what I think (you want to add code of your own into
the buildworld), just add LOCAL_DIRS="path/to/dir1 path/to/dir2" to the
buildworld command line and it will visit your directories and run the
same targets there as for standard freebsd dirs (so your makefiles have
to have those targets, mostly easily accomplished by including the
usual bsd.<foo>.mk where foo=prog|lib|subdir|whatever.

The local dir paths in LOCAL_DIRS must be relative to the top-level
freebsd source dir, you can't use absolute paths (but you can use
relative paths that take you outside the freebsd path, I think, like
../mysources/project1).

-- Ian