Date:      Mon, 18 Jun 2018 21:08:25 +0200
From:      Dave Cottlehuber <dch@skunkwerks.at>
To:        freebsd-dtrace@freebsd.org
Subject:   where did FreeBSD 11's syscall::lstat go? where do syscall probes get defined?

As a novice dtracer, I realised I don't know how dtrace probes for the base system are created, and why some syscalls seem to have probes and others don't.

For example, 11.1 has syscall::lstat  but 12.0 doesn't, although there is syscall::compat11.lstat, and syscall::stat has also disappeared.

BTW I assume that this was related to the ino64 changes, where lib/libc/sys/stat.c and lstat.c were added:

https://svnweb.freebsd.org/base?view=revision&revision=318736

But I don't see where the compat11 change was introduced.

Can somebody enlighten me? http://dtrace.org/guide/chp-syscall.html#chp-syscall hasn't filled out the details, nor has the handbook.

FWIW this is related to https://reviews.freebsd.org/D15879 where the changed probe list broke dtruss from sysutils/dtracetoolkit.

A+
Dave