Date:      Fri, 5 Oct 2001 23:40:19 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New Install Questions

Scott Gerhardt <scott@gerhardt-it.com> types:
> I have just installed FreeBSD 4.4-Release and have come across a few
> diferences compared to Linux systems I have set up.

It would help quite a bit if you asked how to do things, rather than
asking for "equivalents" of tools that you don't find. At the very
least, acknowledge that some people haven't used linux by describing
what the Linux tool in question does.

> 1.) How do you disable rebooting the systems with Ctr-Alt-Del
> sequence from the console? (aka Redmond shuffle ;-)) The fresh
> installation allows anybody do a reboot with this key sequence.  I
> want to disable it pronto.

Andrey answered this one.

> Also, is there an equivalent of shutdown.allow/deny?

Since those aren't standard unix features, I have to guess what you
want. Maybe /var/run/nologin or /etc/login.access? See the login man
page for details.

> 2.) This is highly subjective, but what are some generally accepted
> partitioning schemes for a general purpose Web and Mail server?  I'm
> mostly concerned with the sizing of /var and I would like to keep
> the variable data on it's own partition.  I have 18GB to slice to
> start, and the bulk of the data will be databases, html-docs, mail
> and logs.

It's hard to state sizing information without knowing how big you
expect the logs to be. In general, FreeBSD file systems are enough
more robust than Linux file systems that you don't really need lots of
partitions. If there isn't any user data on the server, I just use a /
and /var, then put the web tree on /var as well. That way, you can
mount / read-only. If you have users logging in and mucking with data,
make it /, /home and /var.

> 3.)  What happened to the "free" command?  I use "free" all the time
> in Linux, what is the equivalent in FreeBSD (besides vmstat)?

pstat, possibly, buy I don't know what free tells you.

> 4. Does 4.4-RELEASE include dirprefs enhancement?

No.

> 5. Should I consider Soft Updates for my production system?

Yes.

	<mike

Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.