Date:      Thu, 22 Nov 2001 04:43:35 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sysctls for hardware monitoring?

Harti Brandt <brandt@fokus.gmd.de> types:
> On Thu, 22 Nov 2001, Mike Meyer wrote:
> MM>Linux uses a device driver that's a directory full of files holding
> MM>sensor information. That doesn't seem to be the right direction for
> MM>FBSD, though. An option that enabled a set of sysctls to collect the
> MM>information seemed to be more approrpiate.
> MM>Comments? Suggestions? Brickbats?
>
> What's bad about using files? Just to be different?

Other than having to deal with devfs in -current vs. -stable, nothing
in particular. I'm just looking at the trend for doing things in
-stable, which is to make read-only data from in the kernel available
via sysctls. For example, where Linux has /proc/net/dev and
/proc/net/route, FreeBSD uses a sysctl to get the data.

>Isn't it easier to select, poll, kqueue, what ever on files than on sysctls?

True, but none of the things you've named are useful for these
hardware monitors. The only useful thing you can do is read the
current value.

It occurs to me that there are a couple of other things that might
come into play here. One is the work on ACPI in -current. The other is
SNMP, if there's a mib for such things. I'm not familiar enough with
either to say.

	Thanx,
	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.