Date:      Wed, 28 Nov 2001 00:56:02 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
Cc:        nate@yogotech.com (Nate Williams), grog@lemis.com, developers@FreeBSD.org, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD performing worse than Linux?

> > FWIW, I'm seeing this as well.  However, this appears to be a new
> > occurance, as we were using a FreeBSD 3.X system for our reference test
> > platform.  I recently updated it to FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE, and I'm getting
> > nothing but complaints about broken connections, poor performance, and
> > very inconsistent results.
> >
> > They are now considering installing Linux on this box with the hope that
> > they can get consistent results.  (Unfortunately, FreeBSD 3.X is out
> > because I convinced them that we needed to upgrade to 4.X due to
> > security measures, so we can't go back.)
>
> And they somehow think any variant of Linux is going to be better on
> this point?

More to the point, it *IS* better with Linux. :(

(At least, comparing the latest FreeBSD with the 'latest' version of
some release of Linux.  I'm not sure if it's Mandrake, or RedHat, or
what.  I wasn't involved in that end of things.)

I'm still trying to figure out if it's some simple configuration that's
causing the problems, but the field trial folks are starting to get
annoyed with my constant 'excuses' as to why we shouldn't just switch to
Linux.

Nate