Date:      Fri, 30 Nov 2001 07:35:08 -0600
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm@mired.org>
To:        "Anthony Atkielski" <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com>
Cc:        "Mike Meyer" <mwm@mired.org>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: As usual, I disagree.

Anthony Atkielski <anthony@freebie.atkielski.com> types:
> Mike writes:
> > No, there are good reasons for allowing every
> > client application to find out about every event.
> Yes, but in an event-driven system, you must compel applications to look at
> events, and not merely wait for them to inquire.  It is usually more efficient
> to notify them.

Correct. It's even more efficient to only notify them of events that
they care about, which is what X does.

> > Doing it the Windows way leads to the huge,
> > resource-consuming GUI that MS has saddled the
> > world with.
> It also provides the flexibility and functionality that helped make that GUI the
> leader.  You can't have it both ways.

So far, you haven't demonstrated that the Windows way is any more
flexible or functional than the X way.

> > X clients can get all the available information
> > about any window open on any display they can talk
> > to.
> Covert channels, in other words.  Not possible in NT.

I don't know that I would call it a covert channel. They use the same
mechanism to get information about other clients windows as they do to
get information about theirs - they ask the X server to send them
notifications for events in that window.

As far as I can tell from your description, the only difference
between Windows and X is that in Windows passes every event to every
client to let the client choose, resulting in a boatload of context
switches, whereas in X the clients have specified which events they
want, and X does the determination internally, so you don't get
context switches for clients that don't care about an event, which is
a major savings as most clients don't care about events in other
windows.

	<mike
Q: How do you make the gods laugh?		A: Tell them your plans.