Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2002 15:56:31 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Bakul Shah <bakul@bitblocks.com>
Cc:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Request for review: getcontext, setcontext, etc

> > > I am not prepared to speculate on the use of FP & SSE
> > > registers at this point except for one thing: an FP exception
> > > *must* be delivered to whichever thread caused it.  Any bugs
> > > in SIGFPE delivery is a separate discussion!
> > [ ... ]
> >
> > Cool.  We are all in agreement on this: the thread that
> > caused it is the thread that executes an FPU instruction
> > after an error in an instruction by some FPU using thread,
> > whatever thread that is.
> >
> > 8-p
> >
> > The exception signalling lags the event that was the cause
> > of the exception in x86 hardware, if this wasn't clear...
>
> What is not clear to me is why is this relevant only now --
> whether the kernel switches threads or they are switched in
> the user mode, the bug (if there is one) will bite you the
> same, right?  Explain it real slowly.  :-)

It's not any more/less relevant now.  It's just that it was mostly
misunderstood in the past, and since we're trying to make get/setcontext
library calls, we want to make sure to get it right.  According to
Bruce, it may not work as we expected in the past.

> I'd better readup on x86 FP....

Hopefully you're reading will be better than mine. :(

Nate