Date:      Sat, 12 Jan 2002 18:17:01 -0600
From:      "Mike Meyer" <mwm-dated-1011313021.0822f6@mired.org>
To:        Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FIC on updating BIOS ;-)

Nils Holland <nils@tisys.org> types:
> Folks,
> "It is recommended to refrain from updating BIOS without a good reason. If
> you don't see your problem listed in the fix list, do not update your BIOS
> - better go to a shareware website (www.winfiles.com, www.shareware.com,
>   tucows.com) and update your software or do something less dangerous."
>
> I had to laugh when I read this - it seems to say something like: "You're
> to stupid, if you want to mess around with your computer, download some
> software, but keep your fingers off the BIOS! ;-)

I don't think I've seen a website from which I could download firmware
- whether it was a PC BIOS or some other bit of hardwares operating
software - that didn't say something along those lines.

I'd say it's good advice for most users: installing a new BIOS (or
whatever) may well break something that is currently working. Why risk
that unless there's a good chance it'll fix something that *isn't*
currently working? More importantly - at least as far as the vendor is
concerned - it probably causes a noticable drop in their support
calls.

	<mike