Date:      Fri, 25 Jan 2002 16:24:27 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>, Daniel Eischen <eischen@pcnet1.pcnet.com>, Dan Eischen <eischen@vigrid.com>, k Macy <kip_macy@yahoo.com>, Peter Wemm <peter@wemm.org>, Julian Elischer <julian@vicor-nb.com>, arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: KSE question

> > There's lots of talk about using this 'FPU used' flag, but at least my
> > read of things from the long discussion before was that it may not be
> > possible to implement this on the x86 architectures we currently
> > support.
> >
> > It sounds like a great idea, *IF* if can be done.
>
> Yes, that was my reservation as well.  You can do it from
> first principles using the tool chain

Not easily.  The toolchain may not know the software is using the FPU in
interpreted languages (at least, in any effecient manner).

You could stick in all sorts of funky hooks, but because threads can be
intererupted at any time, the amount of checking that still needs to
occur at runtime would make a compile-time solution un-necessarily
slow.  (MHO of course).

Nate