Date:      Sat, 02 Feb 2019 20:50:36 +0300
From:      Greg V <greg@unrelenting.technology>
To:        "J. Altman" <freebsd@chthonixia.net>
Cc:        freebsd-x11@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Radeon Vega 8 and drm-fbsd12.0-kmod

On Sat, Feb 2, 2019 at 8:38 PM, "J. Altman" <freebsd@chthonixia.net>=20
wrote:
> Greetings, listmembers...
>=20
> I have a new installation of 12.0; and the APU shows as a Vega 8
> APU. Sources for /usr/sys and /usr/ports are new.
>=20
> The DRM in the subject builds and installs fine; but using the
> recommendations for loading via rc.conf amdgpu.ko (and yes, I have
> tried using sysconS and not syconF via loader.conf...no help there)
> does not work....it's the usual black screen, unresponsive
> keyboard, with eventual failure of the machine and a hang requiring
> a mechanical re-start.
[=85]
> FWIW, I can see the Raven firmware loading, but again: the machine=20
> hangs
> after a short period.

How exactly can you see it? :)

If you can see actual text on the screen after the loader and before=20
the driver is loaded, you haven't actually turned the efi framebuffer=20
off.

Make sure you're actually booting with hw.syscons.disable=3D1 (garbage=20
should be on screen after the bootloader starts the kernel), disable=20
the amdgpu auto loading and try loading it manually over SSH.

> So: is it a lack of Vega 8 firmware?

raven is raven, there's no 'vega8' firmware AFAIK.

=