Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 05:12:12 -0500
From:      Mike Meyer <mwm-dated-1018692734.681a9b@mired.org>
To:        Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>, Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Use/Utilize

In <20020408112409.A90467@lpt.ens.fr>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr> typed:
> Mark Murray said on Apr  6, 2002 at 13:02:36:
> > BTW - I am a native English speaker too. My English is "Colonial
> > English", very close to British English.
> And I learned English in India, it's basically British English too --
> at least in its "formal" version; the slang is very different.
>
> Terry, on the other hand, is a native speaker of American which is not
> really English :)

More accurately, none of the American dialects are really
English. I've encountered at least four version of the third person
plural in the US.

> So I thought it was indeed possible that Americans mean something
> different by "utilize" and "use".  But Merriam-Webster says otherwise.

I agree with that. But there may be an American dialect for which it's
not true. In particlar, they may have a legal meaning totally
different from any meaning in common use.

	<mike