Date:      Wed, 1 May 2002 09:53:49 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        freebsd-smp@freebsd.org
Subject:   hlt when idle?

Can somebody remind me why we do not hlt in the idle loop on MP x86s?
Is this because a HLTed CPU is not going to notice a new runnable job
(possibly migrating from another CPU) until it gets an interrupt to
wake it up?

Do both CPUs get clock interrupts on x86?

Anyway, am I able to remove the SMP ifdef's from the default_halt
function (on 4-stable, 2x1GHz PIII) and I have not noticed any change other
than a cooler office & longer runtime on a UPS. (I've not timed a
buildworld).

Thanks,

Drew