Date:      Fri, 12 Oct 2001 09:59:13 +0100
From:      "Steve Coles" <scoles@tripos.com>
To:        <freebsd-isdn@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Configuring isdnd, isppp/isp0 and "surftime"

------=_NextPart_000_1599_01C15304.8C029A80

I have I4B running nicely on 4.4 release and I am wondering if anyone on =
the group could help with a problem I am experiencing (using =
isppp/isp0).

I have a phone package that allows me unmetered calls Mon-Fri 18:00 to =
08:00, allday weekends  (those in the UK will recognise this as "BT =
SurfTime"). The ISP makes no guarantee that calls outside these times =
will not be answered - indeed the number is dialable, the ISP just =
refuses the PPP logon.

When I used an analogue modem I just use to schedule with cron to kill =
ppp if it was still running out of hours, and start it in autodial mode =
if it was not running during unmetered time.

Now I am using an ISDN link, and the possibility of heinous call charges =
if I get it wrong, I would like some advice.

Q. I have looked at the "valid" isdnd.rc statement, can this handle =
these timebands ?
Q. Can I do this with "rates" ( I have not looked into this much )
Q. Do I just need to schedule an "ifconfig isp0 down" and "ifconfig isp0 =
up" ?

If I run isdnd manual when isp0 is configured and up isdnd appeared to =
hang, if I killed it, took the interface down, then run it it works OK.

Q. Does isdnd like the isp0 going up and down when it is running ?
Q. Would it be simple to move back to ipr0 and ppp ?

Thanks for any help

(I'm not on the list ( the Systems' guys at work don't like it, can you =
please cc me)

Steve

------=_NextPart_000_1599_01C15304.8C029A80

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2><FONT size=3D2>I have I4B running nicely on 4.4 =
release and=20
</FONT>I am wondering if anyone on the group could help with a problem I =
am=20
experiencing (using isppp/isp0).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>I have a phone package that allows me unmetered =
calls Mon-Fri=20
18:00 to 08:00, allday weekends  (those in the UK will recognise this as =
"BT=20
SurfTime"). The ISP makes no guarantee that calls outside these times =
will not=20
be answered - indeed the number is dialable, the ISP just refuses the =
PPP=20
logon.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>When I used an analogue modem I just use to schedule =
with cron=20
to kill ppp if it was still running out of hours, and start it in =
autodial mode=20
if it was not running during unmetered time.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Now I am using an ISDN link, and the possibility of =
heinous=20
call charges if I get it wrong, I would like some advice.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV>Q. I have looked at the "valid" isdnd.rc statement, can this handle =
these=20
timebands ?</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Q. Can I do this with "rates" ( I have not looked =
into this=20
much )</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Q. Do I just need to schedule an "ifconfig isp0 =
down" and=20
"ifconfig isp0 up" ?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>If I run isdnd manual when isp0 is configured and up =
isdnd=20
appeared to hang, if I killed it, took the&nbsp;interface down, then run =
it it=20
works OK.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Q. Does isdnd like the isp0 going up and down when =
it is=20
running ?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Q. Would it be simple to move back to ipr0 and ppp=20
?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Thanks for any help</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>(I'm not on the list ( the Systems' guys at work =
don't like=20
it, can you please cc me)</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT size=3D2>Steve</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_1599_01C15304.8C029A80--