Date:      Fri, 26 Jun 2015 20:42:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Rick Macklem <rmacklem@uoguelph.ca>
To:        Scott Larson <stl@wiredrive.com>
Cc:        Gerrit =?utf-8?B?S8O8aG4=?= <gerrit.kuehn@aei.mpg.de>,  freebsd-net@freebsd.org, carsten aulbert <carsten.aulbert@aei.mpg.de>
Subject:   Re: NFS on 10G interface terribly slow

Scott Larson wrote:
> We've got 10.0 and 10.1 servers accessing Isilon and Nexenta via NFS
> with Intel 10G gear and bursting to near wire speed with the stock
> MTU/rsize/wsize works as expected. TSO definitely needs to be enabled for
> that performance.
Btw, can you tell us what Intel chip(s) you're using?

For example, from the "ix" driver:
#define IXGBE_82598_SCATTER=09=09100
#define IXGBE_82599_SCATTER=09=0932

This implies that the 82598 won't have problems with 64K TSO segments, but
the 82599 will end up doing calls to m_defrag() which copies the entire
list of mbufs into 32 new mbuf clusters for each of them.
--> Even for one driver, different chips may result in different NFS perf.

Btw, it appears that the driver in head/current now sets if_hw_tsomaxsegcou=
nt,
but the driver in stable/10 does not. This means that the 82599 chip will e=
nd
up doing the m_defrag() calls for 10.x.

rick

> The fact iperf gives you the expected throughput but NFS
> does not would have me looking at tuning for the NFS platform. Other thin=
gs
> to look at: Are all the servers involved negotiating the correct speed an=
> duplex, with TSO? Does it need to have the network stack tuned with
> whatever it's equivalent of maxsockbuf and send/recvbuf are? Do the switc=
> ports and NIC counters show any drops or errors? On the FBSD servers you
> could also run 'netstat -i -w 1' under load to see if drops are occurring
> locally, or 'systat -vmstat' for resource contention problems. But again,=
> similar setup here and no such issues have appeared.
>=20
>=20
> *[image: userimage]Scott Larson[image: los angeles]
> <https://www.google.com/maps/place/4216+Glencoe+Ave,+Marina+Del+Rey,+CA+9=
0292/@33.9892151,-118.4421334,17z/data=3D!3m1!4b1!4m2!3m1!1s0x80c2ba88ffae9=
14d:0x14e1d00084d4d09c>Lead