Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:53:07 -0700
From:      Bill Trost <trost@cloud.rain.com>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   ethernet card lost in upgrade to -current

I just upgraded my laptop from -stable to -current, and I am now getting
the dreaded "driver allocation failed" message for my GDS (NE2000)
ethernet card.  The card worked fine under -stable.

Before I start wending my way through pccardd, have there been any
significant laptop fixes in -current since, oh, say, April 7?  I see no
reason why things should have suddenly stopped working like this, but
maybe I missed an important change to the sources.

Oh -- and is there any reason pccardd doesn't give an indication as
to *why* the driver allocation failed?  That error message really isn't
very useful, given the number of reasons it might fail.  A lot of dumb
questions (like this one) could be turned into slightly less dumb
questions if only the error message were more precise.  (-: