Date:      Wed, 29 Oct 1997 08:08:37 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        mike@smith.net.au, helbig@Informatik.BA-Stuttgart.DE, freebsd-current@freefall.FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bad system call - world build

In message <199710290704.XAA16634@silvia.HIP.Berkeley.EDU>, Satoshi Asami write
s:
> * I may be dense here, but what do you think is the "real" solution ?
>
>I wouldn't be asking here if I knew. ;)
>
>Do you know why it doesn't work now?  Your commit message appears to
>indicate that this is supposed to work.  Could the fact that the
>environment variables are pointing to the newly built shared libraries
>have something to do with this?  (Just a wild guess.)

Well, my take on this is that you're trying to do the impossible.

If you want make world to run on it's own binaries/libs, then the
kernel has to support those, and short of making kludges like the
one Peter has put around the __getcwd() (Which I thought worked ??)
there is no way to guarantee that it can be done.

Besides, doing a make world on -current sources on a 2.X machine
falls way short of the goal.  All of /etc is still the old stuff.

I think it is time to say:

	 If you want to get from 2.X to 3.X, you install a 3.X snapshot