Date:      Sat, 17 Jul 2004 09:27:40 -0400
From:      Robert Huff <roberthuff@rcn.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   upgrading form 4.2 to 5.x

Brent Bailey writes:

>  The customer is running a file server samba also running apache
>  running FBSD 4.2, he wants to upgrade using cvsup & the make
>  buildworld procedure to upgrade to 5.x.

	Your familiarity not withstanding, I would recommend against
this.  About the only reason to do this upgrade in-place is the
utter lack of machines on which to put a fresh installation.
	The reasons _not_ to do this are legion, starting with
disruption of a production enviroment and the (non-trivial)
possibility it won't work and won't be restorable, all the way to
reclaiming disk space used by abandoned executables/libraries/data.
If desirable, it will also provide the opportunity to increase disk
size and re-partition to meet actual use rather than following
generic guidelines.

				Robert Huff