Date:      Mon, 26 Jan 2004 14:45:17 +0400
From:      "Mazen S. Alzogbi" <freebsd@mazenalzogbi.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@freebsd.org>
Subject:   nOOb: FreeBSD & laptop

Hi,

I am sending this to hear what everyone thinks of FreeBSD on laptops. To
be honest, I don't want to replace FreeBSD with Linux on my laptop
because of many reasons. Yet, I have to admit that I am having all
source of troubles with FreeBSD on the laptop but not on the
workstation!

To be more specific, sound doesn't work (yes, I did recompile the kernel
with "device apm" and the conflict happens in IRQ 10 which for some
reason many drivers are trying to use and only one of them is
succeeding), external mouse is giving me troubles (hanging sometimes),
touch pad the same (not working) with KDE or GNOME, internal modem
(winmodem) is no working, a bit slow (2.4 GHz with 512 MB RAM
machine!!).

On the other hand, I cannot describe how neat the same OS (4.9-RELEASE)
is working on the desktop, simply, everything is working fast and the
system is reliable.

Do you care to share me your experience? Thanks.

Cheers,

Mazen
www.MazenAlzogbi.com