Date:      Mon, 15 Apr 1996 18:09:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andy Smith <andy.smith@reuters.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   FreeBSD 2.1 SUID

I hope you can help with a small problem that I have using FreeBSD to
implement a
Firewall.

First off let me just say that I am very impressed with FreeBSD and
have used in to implement a number of large projects, including this
one, in preference to Sun.

The system is a Pentium PC with IDE HD, IDE SyQuest, Mitsumi CD Rom,
32Mb RAM.

It is FreeBSD 2.1, with a recompiled kernel, removing NFS, SCSI etc.
Most of the unused binaries have been removed from the system.

The problem is I have a C program, that runs as user operator, with
UID 3. I need this user to be able to modify some files in /etc, so I
have a sh script that should run suid root. This script is simply

#! /bin/sh
#
cp /usr/local/proto/weekly /etc/weekly
cp /usr/local/proto/daily /etc/daily
cp /usr/local/proto/security /etc/security
Plus more of the same

This script is called on exit from the C program. The sh script is
owned by root.wheel and has permissions -rwsr-----. So that it
'should' suid to root as it runs, unfortunately this is not the case,
and it runs with uid 3, the operator.

How can I get this (or any) shell script to run SUID root??

Thanks

Andy