Date:      Fri, 1 Apr 2022 15:51:12 +0200
From:      =?UTF-8?Q?=c5=81ukasz_Moska=c5=82a?= <lm@lukaszmoskala.pl>
To:        freebsd-arm@freebsd.org
Subject:   Booting rock64 from USB SSD

Hi everyone,

I want to boot my rock64 from SSD (because all sd cards I could find are
crap).

I followed those instructions to flash u-boot to SPI:
https://github.com/ayufan-rock64/linux-build/blob/master/recipes/flash-spi.md

I was then able to boot FreeBSD from SSD (dd
FreeBSD-13.0-RELEASE-arm64-aarch64-ROCK64.img to SSD, just like it would
be to SD card), but ethernet wasn't working. Actually, it could receive
packets but no outgoing packets were sent. Not even ARP packets - switch
didn't detect any device on that port, but link was UP

I assumed it was something to do with u-boot, so I erased u-boot from
flash, then DD FreeBSD-13.0-RELEASE-arm64-aarch64-ROCK64.img to SD card,
and it worked without problems.

Do I understand correctly that this means that FreeBSD on rock64 uses
custom u-boot? Can I somehow flash it to SPI?

Possible workaround that I can think of would be to put /boot on sd
card, install u-boot to sd card, then put / on SSD.

Thanks in advance
--
Łukasz Moskała