Date:      Fri, 19 Apr 1996 00:50:08 +0100
From:      "Gary Palmer" <gpalmer@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@blueberry.co.uk>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: freebsd-uk

Nik Clayton wrote in message ID
<199604182026.VAA01002@plum.blueberry.co.uk>:
> Just kicking around an idea here, but does anyone else feel a need for
> a freebsd-uk mailing list?

How about a UKFUG too? I know of several people who would be
interested...

>   - Swapping information about suppliers in the UK who ship hardware that
>     FreeBSD works with.

(and doesn't work with. *ahem*)

>   - Using FreeBSD with ISPs in the UK, sharing of config files and the
>     like

Actually, something that needs starting is a GENERAL library of config
files for connecting to ISP's...

>   - Co-ordinating mirrors of FreeBSD information from an ftp, sup and http
>     standpoint.

I only know of FTP mirrors in the UK :-( I have yet to find a machine
with enough disk space & bandwidth to handle a SUP mirror :-( Although
I think B1000 could handle a WWW mirror.

>   - Stimulate the use of FreeBSD in the .ac.uk domain (where most students
>     seem to be running Linux, because it's all they've heard of)

Definately, although some code groundwork needs to be done before I
want to REALLY start pushing FreeBSD in the UK. I have on a couple of
occasions recently seen Linux FT on cover CDROM's of UK mags, and
thought about contacting the mag to get FreeBSD covered too, but
without decent (E)IDE support, I can't. And I don't mean just CDROM's
but also LBA disks (i.e. large disks) too.

It was annoying recently when a friend really wanted to move to
FreeBSD, but it wouldn't install properly on his box. Downloaded
slackware 3.0 of sunsite.doc.ic.ac.uk and ran first time. The problem?
A 1Gb EIDE disk that needs to be shared between DOS & UN*X. I can't be
sure (I'm about400 miles from the machine in question), but I'm
betting that FreeBSD couldn't hack the translation produced by the
controller.

>   - Co-ordinate with the UKUUG (UK Unix User Group) and LUUG (London Unix
>     User Group) with the events that they run.

Yep.

>   - Meetings, get togethers, pub crawls and so on. . .

Heh. Pub crawls eh? Serious stuff :)

Gary