Date:      Wed, 02 Apr 1997 17:18:52 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        phk@critter.dk.tfs.com, ache@nagual.ru, dyson@FreeBSD.ORG, bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ufs lock panic in -current

> Who else do you treat as a supermarket, where their whole sources
> must be laid out for you to pick and choose what you want, without
> regard to how your choices impact their own ability to use the
> resulting code base for their own research?
>
> Other than CSRG, NetBSD, OpenBSD, and occasionally Linux, I mean...

If you're going to continue with the slippery conversational gambits
then I'm here to tell you that we're not going to get anywhere at all
with this.  Oh sure, we can continue to fence and parry and try to
impress everyone on -current with our debating skills, but it's not
going to get us any closer to determining the Real Truth(tm) about why
Terry's code is not getting in the tree.

You know darn well that I'm not asking you to be a Coding K-Mart just
as you know darn well why you don't have commit privileges (or
"citizenship", to use your term) after 2 years, this wide-eyed "gosh I
just don't know what their problem is" act starting to get just a mite
stale.  The power to change all of this has always rested squarely in
your hands, and I've taken out time and energy on more than one
occasion to send you multi-page letters describing exactly how things
work and what we expect from someone who wants to work on FreeBSD's
kernel and general infrastructure in the areas you're wishing to get
involved in.  These letters did no good whatsoever.  I've pointed to
numerous counter-examples to your claims about how The System Itself
Must Be Flawed If It Can't Accomodate A Lambert, demonstrating time
and again that numerous *other* developers, coming along well after
your arrival, had walked easily over the very same bar you were
claiming was above head-height and unreasonably placed.  You continue
to contend that we're the unreasonable ones here as even more
committers join the project each day.

Face it, Terry, you're a stubborn cuss and you want the project to
revolve around you, you have no interest in being a sattelite in
someone else's orbit or you would have *adapted* to team player status
in the very same ways that the other 70+ people currently on the CVS
committers list have.  You would have been working to establish bonds
of trust rather than dictating from the pulpit, or maybe you would
have been just slightly more strategic in taking over an obscure
utility and getting commit privs on that basis (and you need only look
to the existing roster for many working examples of that), expanding
your role from there as you and the other committer/core members
became more familiar with one another's work methods rather than
demanding the keys to the safe on your first day at the job.  You
could have done any number of things, in fact, but you didn't because
success at *joining* wasn't really what you had in mind - you just
wanted to get close enough so that the occasional thrown rock would
have a better chance of scoring, maybe, damned if I understand your
actual motivation here. :-)

NetBSD has its Chris Demetriou, I guess we have our Terry Lambert *

Why not just admit that you like the role of being FreeBSD's Phillis
Shaffley (if I spelled her name correctly) and revel openly in it?
You don't want to become part of the project, that would spoil all
your fun. :-)

						Jordan

* And no other comparison between Chris & Terry except their respective
  "gadfly" roles intended or implied - you may put your gun away now
  Chris, thank you.