Date:      Mon, 30 Dec 2013 23:24:52 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz_lst@tdx.co.uk>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>, freebsd-geom@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Is TRIM working with gmirror?

--On 12 December 2013 01:16:09 +0100 Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
wrote:

> Is TRIM working on gmirror?
>
> I have FreeBSD 8.4-RELEASE-p1 amd64 GENERIC machine with 2x SSDs:
> But there is a WARNING at boot:
>
> WARNING: /ssd_db: TRIM flag on fs but disk does not confirm that it
> supports TRIM
>
> The filesystem is classic UFS2.
>
> Is TRIM supported throught gmirror, or not?

I think 8.4 is way too old for this. I have a number of 9.2 boxes - and
even on those, TRIM doesn't propagate through gmirror *yet* (at the time,
which is a few months ago I seem to remember reading 'It should work soon'
- but 9.2 doesn't appear to).

You can use gstat to show if any calls to BIO_DELETE are being made - i.e.

  gstat -d

On the systems here the 'd/s' (which afaik is 'BIO_DELETE/second') remains
stubbornly at zero :(

The flipside is with decent SSD's these days TRIM isn't quite so
important... Some may even argue that *not* issuing heaps of BIO_DELETE on
the I/O channel is actually faster - so long as the SSD has time to play
catchup and isn't pegged all the time, I think they may be right :-)

-Karl