Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 1996 15:13:53 GMT+0100
From:      "Kees Jan Koster" <Kees.Koster@nym.sc.philips.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UID < 65535?

> And you could "cd /www/ftp.cdrom.com/pub/FreeBSD2.1.5/..."

I agree that it would make ftp sites much more accessable, but I
figure that will also kill it. If people don't realise that their
data is traversing half the internet to get to their desk, they'll be
running "find /www/ftp.freebsd.org -name somepackage.tgz -print" on a
dayly (hourly?) basis, saying "Oh, never mind it takes a while, I'll
just come back in the morning for the results.". At least with
standard ftp they'll do the traversing by hand and after a while
they'll even learn to download ls-lR's and read them before even
logging in.

Groetjes,
  Kees Jan