Date:      Fri, 25 Apr 1997 01:47:05 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Tony Overfield <tony@dell.com>
Cc:        Robert Withrow <witr@rwwa.com>, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Can't put 512MB ram in box ... Extended memory question.

> A third, perhaps unseemly, possibility, that I haven't seen mentioned
> before, is to make the real-mode BIOS call from the kernel init code
> in the same way that the APM initilization BIOS call is made, by
> temporarily returning the CPU to real-mode after the kernel is loaded.

If that would allow me to read in initialization values from an
optional file in the root filesystem, just as the kernel is read in,
at the point where userconfig() is called in machdep.c, well, I'd vote
for it with all flags waving.  The "userconfig save" feature broke
again recently in sysinstall (I don't know why) and it's simply become
Yet Again Apparent that sysinstall & dset are barking up the wrong
trees with the way they do their configuration saving.  It's a rude
hack right now, and if we could simply read in a file and set the
kernel's initial state from it, well, that would be very nice. :-)

					Jordan