Date:      Wed, 03 Jan 2018 16:29:12 -0800
From:      "Ronald F. Guilmette" <rfg@tristatelogic.com>
To:        "freebsd-security@freebsd.org" <freebsd-security@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Intel hardware bug

In message <02563ce4-437c-ab96-54bb-a8b591900ba0@FreeBSD.org>,
Eric van Gyzen <vangyzen@FreeBSD.org> wrote:

>Wait until Tuesday before you explode.  Intel are now saying that it's
>not a "bug" in Intel CPUs.

Right.  "That's not a bug!  That's a feature!"

I say again:  Sheeeeeeeessssshhh!

Just within the last three months, we first had:

     "All your WPA2 WiFi are belong to us!"

and now, to add insult to injury, we get:

     "All your Intel *and* ARM CPUs are belong to us!"

Obviously, the enemy is what it has always been... complexity.  All this stuff
is just so hellishly complex nowadays that no single human can grasp and hold
even a significant fraction of these things in their minds at any one time.
The result is as inevitable as it is predictable.  Our machines are making us
substantially *less* secure.

But I guess that I personally don't have nearly as much reason to bitch and
moan as, for example, any origanization that managed or is managing some vast
fleet of WiFi hardware (HomeDepot?), or any of the cloud computing vendors who
have just seen perhaps 30% of their installed compute power go up in smoke,
virtually overnight.  If anybody has ample reason to be royally pissed off
about all of this nonsense, then it is surely those folks, more than me.

Regards,
rfg

P.S.  Right about now, I'd like to have a job working for whichever big ad
agency has the AMD account.  The ad copy for AMD's next marketing campaign
practically writes itself... "Performance without penality!"