Date:      Wed, 4 Jan 1995 02:05:26 -0800 (PST)
From:      Morgan Davis <root@io.cts.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Machine state after reboot?

Hi, folks.

Many times now after rebooting out of FreeBSD, I've experienced
trouble that required a reset to put the system back into shape.

For example, rebooting back to the BIOS screen, then into MS-DOS and
typing WIN to get to Windows will immediately cause the Window's
"splash" screen to look very odd (e.g. video modes are toast), and the
machine hangs.

Or, pressing the Open button on my CD-ROM drive causes it to open and
make a horrible wratcheting sound (like it's getting fed an endless
loop of "eject" signals, because pressing the button again does not
close the drawer).  I've had to power down at this point.

Some DOS programs have refused to run properly.

These problems only occur after a warm reboot out of FreeBSD.  If I
hit the reset button or cycle power, it comes up fine.  So something
is not being reset or cleaned up properly and the machine comes up in
a weird state.  It's not a big deal to me -- I've gotten used to
hitting Reset at the BIOS screen now, but it might be something to
look into if it's reproducable on other systems.

System profile:
486DX2/66-S
16MB RAM
Trantor CD-ROM drive
ProAudio Spectrum
Award BIOS (circa November 1994, Energy Star, etc.)
S3-based clone video card
NE1000 enet board
3.5" floppy drive
400MB (2 Conner IDE drives)

OS-Boot selector:
DOS 6.22 / Windows 3.11
FreeBSD 2.1.0 Development #0 (-current as of Sunday, 1/1/95)