Date:      Wed, 04 Jan 1995 21:34:18 +0200
From:      Mark Murray <mark@grondar.za>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr (Ollivier ROBERT)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replicating system.

> > Now - (thinks) How do I best copy the contents of the two disks to the
> > new SCSI? I have done this before by tar-ing to a tape and restoring,
> > but a file or 10 in /var/... got bust. Same for dump-ing to a tape.
>
> cd srcdir; tar cf - . | ( cd /dstdir; tar xvfpB - )	OR
>
> cp -pR . /dstdir

OK - this short-circuits the tape out of the loop. What happens to files
with multiple links - major waste of disk space?

> > (I recall that one of the problem files was a socket(?) in
> > /var/run/printer= with mode srwxrwxrwx)
>
> Doesn't matter, /var/run/printer is recreated at each boot as /var/run
> is emptied at boot time.

Good to know. What is this anyway? (Iknow, the name says it all, but I
cannot fit it into the lpd/lpr/printcap scheme. If its in the man
pages, I'll bloody shoot myself...)

--
Mark Murray
46 Harvey Rd, Claremont, Cape Town 7700, South Africa