Date:      Thu, 5 Jan 1995 00:48:13 +0100 (MET)
From:      Olof Johansson <offe@ludd.luth.se>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   WD-7000 progress... (help!)

The current status of the WD-7000 driver is this:
Reading and writing from/to character devices is working, at least to some
extent. I can read and write my tape without errors (more than the one the
streamer itself causes).

BUT I have _big_ problems getting it to work with a 105Mb Quantum disk I've
borrowed when accessing it as a blockdevice. I haven't added scatter/gather
support, I don't know if it may have with it to do.

When I do a 'dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sd0f bs=8k count=1000', and thereafter
reads it (from the raw device to make sure it isn't garbled when reading)
it only contains zeroes in the beginning (the two first blocks written usally),
thereafter i get all kind of "garbage", seemingly from other parts of the
memory. Sometimes it contains my own environment, other times /etc/group etc
etc. In other words there's some pointer wrong somewhere. I've spend two
nights debugging, and I can't find anything. :-(

Since reading/writing from/to character devices works fine I wonder what the
difference is for the driver? I can't see any. All it gets is a chunk of
memory and a scsi command to pass to the controller.
One thing I observed was that getblk complained about only getting 4k blocks
from my minphys. When i changed that, so it could read/write bigger blocks
it stopped. Since I don't really know if I did something "illegal" I can't tell
if that has anythign to do with my problems.

Please, I need some help with this. It's not too easy to help without an own
controller, but at least I need these questions answered (if possible).

						-Olof

Olof Johansson     | Address:              | Phone: +46-10-695-8364
offe@ludd.luth.se  | 2 komp, 3 plut        | Who is General Failure, and why
d92-ojn@sm.luth.se | Box 9106              | is he reading my disk?
offe@sdf.luth.se   | 961 19 Boden / SWEDEN | (MSDOS - just say NO!)