Date:      Fri, 6 Jan 1995 01:52:25 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh>
To:        hackers
Cc:        antwerp
Subject:   Desperately Seeking Doc hackers!

OK, folks..

It's time to start the FreeBSD Documentation Project - it's long overdue!

We need people to:

	o Write mini-FAQs
	o Write meta-FAQs (overviews, indices, etc).
	o Write tutorial guides (longer than mini-FAQs, not in "FAQ" format).
	o Help bring over the Linux SGML doc environment.
	o Oversee the doc project and set overall direction (editor).
	o Work with the Webmasters (www@freebsd.org) in pasting it all
	  together into a homogenous whole.  We need to deal with HTML,
	  cleartext and Postscript output in the short term.  In the long
	  term, we should also support info.
	o Clean up and hypertextify the man pages (apparently, there's already
	  a tool to do this automagically).
	o Look at all the old stuff in /usr/share/doc and refile, delete or
	  fix.

I figured that the home of the DOC project should be /usr/src/share/doc/freebsd.
The old stuff can stay alongside it or get shuffled into /usr/src/share/doc/old
where it can molder in peace until we've either outdated it or picked at it
for all the value that could be derived.  The existing stuff will stay
in /usr/src/share/FAQ, which should be eventually deprecated.

The build process will probably involve taking /usr/src/share/doc/freebsd/SGML/...
and building one or more documents in /usr/share/doc/freebsd/ASCII/ or
/usr/share/doc/freebsd/Postscript/ for distribution with the docdist.

Ideally, I'd like to see this taken over entirely by one `docmaster',
who would join the core team (if not already a member) and hold overall
responsibility for FreeBSD documentation.  If all else fails, I'll take
it on, but I'd rather not.  I really don't have the time available for
any more intensive writing right now! :-(

I'd expect things to proceed along the following lines:

1.	Appoint docmaster.

2.	Solidify plans concerning markup language to be used (I'm presuming
	SGML at this point) and which initial output formats the FDP
	will be expected to provide.

3.	Docmaster assembles team.

4.	Team sends report to hackers detailing what they have in mind.

5.	Rest of community kibbitzes for awhile, eventually quiets down,
	team considers feedback for short time then work begins in earnest.

6.	Poul-Henning Kamp & I work closely with Docmaster & team on scheduling
	docs to go into FreeBSD 2.1, which docs are provided before, during
	and after the installation process, etc.

7.	Simultaneously, the Webmasters start pasting in some of the initial
	HTML output and feeding back to the Docs team on how it all looks.

I'd also like to take this chance to mention that the Web pages have been going
amazingly well, and anyone who hasn't looked at http://www.freebsd.org
yet is strongly encouraged to do so!  Kudos to John Fieber and
James L Robinson for a very impressive job so far.  It's been their success
more than anything else that's been motivating me to take a long, hard
look at our docs, and I'm not very happy with what I'm seeing.  We REALLY
need to change this if we are to have any hope of really reaching a large
number of people!  The Linux Doc Project has generated an amazingly large
amount of very good documentation, and we've basically done squat.  Shame
on us!

I take this lack of good doc very seriously, as most of you who know me
already know, and I think it's time that we all took it seriously enough
to form a complete team who's only thought is DOC!

Thoughts?

					Jordan