Date:      Sat, 25 Feb 1995 05:39:45 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        roberto@blaise.ibp.fr, starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Decrease in namei cache effectiveness?

>> starting a make world.  I stopped it after I noticed that the disk was getting
>> an incredible pounding during C compilations that previously would be
>> almost totally CPU-bound.  My impression from "systat -vmstat" was that
>> somehow the effectiveness of the namei cache had gotten drastically reduced,
>> and the lookups of the names of include files were causing a lot of disk
>> activity.
>>
>> Has anyone else seen this?

>Same here. Very very slow (I was compiling sendmail, guess why ? :-))

Same here.  `du -a /var | wc' accesses the disk every time to stat only
68 files.

I suspect revision 1.30 to vfs_bio.c (1995/02/22 09:30:13) broke
something.  It was supposed to _stop_ the buffers associated with
directories and metadata being thrashed by regular i/o.  My
getnewvnode() stops some of this thrashing (and thrashing of file data)
by preferring to reuse vnodes with no attached buffers.  Before
1995/02/22, this increased the maximum amount of directory and metadata
info by a factor of about 10.  I want it to be increased by another
factor of 10.

Bruce