Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 02:17:07 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jim Bryant <jbryant@server.iadfw.net>
To:        rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com (Rodney W. Grimes)
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ANy one useing ft driver under 2.0 current???

In reply:
> From: "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
> Subject: ANy one useing ft driver under 2.0 current???
> To: freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org
> Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 22:55:19 -0800 (PST)
>
> I am trying to get a colorado 250 working.  It probes and every thing
> but ``tar czf - | ft "test1" runs for awhile and then finishes without
> error.
>
> I figure okay, good.  Now let me try to read it back.
>
> ft "test1" | tar tzvf -
>
> Nothing nota, zipo.
>
> Okay.
>
> ft "test1"
> test:rgrimes {131} ft "test1"
> "ftfilt vol*01 0000000045 test1" - Wed Mar 22 06:51:56 1995
> test:rgrimes {132}
>
> Sure enought that is when I wrote it, but where the hell is my DATA???

Strange, I have about 12 tapes, all using tar/ft, all valid backups...

That is under 1.1.5.1-RELEASE, 2.0-RELEASE, as well as 950210-SNAP...

I really think that the QIC support is needed, and as a matter of fact, I
have thousands of lines of source to add full QIC compat via an user
program for interchange purposes, I think that symlink support will be
supported or is now supported under the standards, and hard links are
properly supported now if my proposal passed.  I also have many changes
to add to the ft include file correcting mistakes in the releases, and
adding structs for the fileset standards.  I am considering releasing it
as a shareware thing, a functional limited demo though, got to have
incentive to pay, I ship the full product from here, with a printed
manual, etc...  It has two modes of operation, command-line or
full-screen.

Also, I have noticed that between 2.0-RELEASE and 950210-SNAP there is a
DRASTIC slowdown when using gzip [tar -z option] and ft at the same
time.  Has this been fixed in -current?

BTW: try this:

     tar -cvzf - what.to.back.up | ft "test1"
     ft "test1" | tar -tvzf -

If you typed the above as you originally did, tar did exactly what you
told it too, essentially nothing...  [I hate it when I do things like
that too :^) ]

Jim
--
All opinions expressed are mine, if you   | "I will not be pushed, stamped,
think otherwise, then go jump into turbid | briefed, debriefed, indexed, or